A range of medicines need to be refrigerated. These include insulins, antibiotic liquids, injections, eye drops and some creams. These medicines must be stored between 2ºC and 8ºC.
Your responsibilities for monitoring temperatures are:
- Recording the temperature of the fridge daily
- Recording minimum, maximum and current temperatures, using a minimum/maximum thermometer.
- Ensuring the thermometer is reset after each reading
- Making sure that your staff understand how to read and reset the thermometer and why this is necessary
- Taking care that the thermometer probe cable does not interfere with the door seal. This could cause the temperature to fall outside the recommended temperature range
- Making sure that your staff know what to do when the fridge is outside the recommended temperature range
- Keeping records of any actions taken. This includes seeking advice on whether the medicines are still safe to use.