This logbook has been designed and developed to enable you to have one booklet that collates all supervisions, observations, additional staff sessions and the annual appraisal all in one place. The scheduler helps you to keep track of all 1-2-1 staff meetings and set goals at the beginning of the year which can be tracked and reviewed throughout the year. There are extra spaces for keeping notes of any additional sessions that are carried out such as performance related sessions, observations, spot checks and competencies.
Regulation 18 of the Health & Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014 states: that Staff must receive the support, training, professional development, supervision and appraisals that are necessary for them to carry out their role and responsibilities. They should be supported to obtain further qualifications and provide evidence, where required, to the appropriate regulator to show that they meet the professional standards needed to continue to practise. Training, learning and development needs of individual staff members must be carried out at the start of employment and reviewed at appropriate intervals during the course of employment. Staff must be supported to undertake training, learning and development to enable them to fulfil the requirements of their role.
Where appropriate, staff must be supervised until they can demonstrate required/acceptable levels of competence to carry out their role unsupervised.
- Staff should receive appropriate ongoing or periodic supervision in their role to make sure competence is maintained.
- Staff should be supported to make sure they are can participate in:
Other mandatory training, as defined by the provider for their role.
Any additional training identified as necessary to carry out regulated activities as part of their job duties and, in particular, to maintain necessary skills to meet the needs of the people they care for and support.
- Other learning and development opportunities required to enable them to fulfil their role. This includes first aid training for people working in the adult social care sector.
- All learning and development and required training completed should be monitored and appropriate action taken quickly when training requirements are not being met.
- Staff should receive regular appraisal of their performance in their role from an appropriately skilled and experienced person and any training, learning and development needs should be identified, planned for and supported.
It can be difficult to capture all of the information that is discusses with staff during additional sessions so this document is able to capture all of the goals, reviews, supervisions, appraisals, spot checks and additional sessions that are held with staff to help support progress and communication and also provide vital evidence on CQC inspection. The logbook can be used for a year. A supervision contract is also included in the booklet so that expectations can be managed and a clear commitment from both parties can be established at the outset.
This document works well with the care staff competency assessment booklet.